If washing your protective style seems to create more build-up and itchiness, try the towel method, sans shampoo. Here’s how to do this low-maintenance wash hack.
1. Take a spray bottle filled with distilled or purified water, along with ten drops of peppermint, five drops of lemongrass and five drops of rosemary, and spritz along your parts.
2. Take a damp towel and rub your scalp in between your parts to remove dirt and build-up. Your level of rubbing aggressiveness depends on you.
3. Take a blow-dryer on a medium setting and run it along all of your damp areas to quickly dry it.
4. This is an effective braid, twist or faux loc refresher for those with styles that would take too long to dry. Peppermint will cool an itchy scalp. Lemongrass has effective cleansing and antiseptic properties, and rosemary is amazing for growth. You can do this refreshing method once a week or bi-weekly.
Here are some other benefits of this mixture:
– Relieves tension in tighter styles.
– Helps get rid of scalp odor and prevent/kill bacteria and fungus growth.
– Works perfect as a daily scalp mist, but DO make sure to quickly use your blowdryer or diffuser afterwards.
You can also swap out these essential oils:
– Use sweet orange oil instead of lemongrass.
– Use eucalyptus instead of peppermint.
– Use thyme instead of rosemary.
Would you try our alternative wash?
Photo credit: @aysha.sow