Heat-styling can be difficult if you’re not quite sure how to silken your curls sans damage. Here are five easy tips.
1. WASH AND CONDITION WITH HEAT-STYLING PRODUCTS: If you’re closer to 4C, don’t make the mistake of using your weekly shampoo and conditioner, which is formulated for wearing your hair curly. Typically, your regular shampoo and conditioner will help define your curls and deposit heavier oils and butters onto the hair shaft, which is NOT what you want when heat-styling. Use products that work to cleanse, soften and prep your hair for blow-drying and flatironing.
2. PREP WITH HEAT-PROTECTANT MIST: Black Castor Miracle Moisture Heat Protectant is formulated with a keratin complex and black castor oil to soften tresses and prep for a super silky blowout.
3. TRY HEATLESS DRYING: If you’re interested in skipping the blowdryer, try a heatless blow-drying method. After rinsing out your conditioner, apply a heat-protectant serum like your and brush your natural hair into a pony tail. Braid the end and allow your hair to dry in this style. After a day or so, you can follow up with the gentle passing of a blow-dryer on a medium setting to rid of any wrinkles, and proceed with flat-ironing.
4. COMB + FLATIRON: For super sleek strands, use a rattail comb to comb through your sectioned piece while flatironing. This rids of any tangles and helps guide your flatron through thick hair. Position your comb on the side of the section that’s opposite your roots.
5. GET A BETTER BLOW-DRYER: For some, the blow-drying process can make or break your style. Invest in a blowdryer that easily silkens natural hair like the Revlon Salon One Step Hair Dryer and Styler.